Thursday, March 03, 2005

Parents say such weird things.

As i was making my monotonous walk to school today I heard what i thought was a weird and slightly worrying thing for a young child of about 6 to say, that he couldn't wait to be dead.

I was walking as fast as i could, avoiding all the annoying parents and children who litter my walk to school and have no concept of the fact that other people also use the pavement, in the hope that i'd manage to get to school on time. Well i was late. But whilst trying to get passed them i was listening in on their conversations (as I tend to do, yeah I know thats being nosy but they can be quite funny conversations and it beats just staring at trees and cars). So this child was asking his mum what its like to be dead. I was expecting her to say something like 'nobody knows' or 'well you go up to a place called heaven where everything is perfect, everyone is friendly and you enjoy a luxurious existence' (ok maybe a 6 year old child would have trouble understanding the last part) but the mother said none of those things. Instead she told him that your body dies leaving behind your spirit which wanders the land looking for people to scare. The boy then declared, as I said in the first sentence of this post, that he couldn't wait to die and that he was going to scare everyone he'd ever met. His mother just replied 'thats a good boy'.

This made me think, parents tell their children the strangest things sometimes and small children will believe anything their parents say. I wonder what kinds of answers my parents used to give to my constant questioning when I was that age. Did they used to make up silly answers just to shut me up? Or did they give me proper answers? To what extent did their answers shape my beliefs, personality and feelings about things?

So thats my story. I just thought i'd share it on my blog because I found it slightly strange but at the same time quite funny. Oh and one last thing. If you know a 6 year old boy watch out, you never know, you may one day be visited and scared by him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home