Thursday, March 10, 2005

What a shit day!

Today has been, as the title says, an absolutely shite day. It even rivals a certain Duke of Edinburgh expedition for pure shiteness.

It all started off with my being late for school. Not a great way to start the day. Then in my first lesson my pen managed to leak ink all over a homework I was just going to hand in. These things aren't exactly terrible but I was starting to get the impression that the day wasn't going to go too well, therefore it probably wasn't the best day to get my A level results back. Well my fears were justified, with things then deteriorating as I got my results. As usual I let myself down, getting disappointing grades for things I know I can get A's in. I've made the promise I make to myself everytime I let myself down in my exams, to work properly this time (although its a promise that has yet to come to fruition). So the exam results weren't too good. Doesn't matter, I'll just have to do better next time. So the day continued. Straight after receiving my results I had the pleasure of a surprise latin mock type test. Well it didn't go too well. I couldn't translate most of the words let alone put them into some kind of order where they make sense. Things then seemingly got a bit better lulling me into a false sense of relief. But this was not meant to last.

I had to stay after school to take some readings for my biology coursework. Unfortunately I had to carry out the experiment in the classroom of a certain biology teacher who shall remain nameless. For now I shall refer to her as Mrs.. bitch. My teacher had told me that I had to do the experiment in her classroom as his classroom was full of people dissecting rats (which I wanted to try but couldn't because of my coursework). So I start to set everthing up when Mrs. bitch comes in and says 'Alex what are you doing here, this is not your bology class?' I explained that I had been told to do the experiment in her room and explained why. She gave me 'the stare' (when she just stares at you and says nothing for a minute or two, waiting for you to answer a question she hasn't actually asked or indicating you've said something she doesn't like). I just stared back. Then after about a minute she said 'well get on with it then!' before walking off to scream at a poor little year nine kid who just happened to be passing by the lab.

After setting up my apparatus she came back in to say 'can't you do that in the other lab?' 'Urm no because they're doing an experiment in there and theres no space,' I replied. She then replied that I could go and sit in a corner to do it. I was not going to be a sad loner sitting in a corner on my own while everyone else is enjoying dissecting rats. Luckily my biology teacher then arrived and stated again that there was no room. She finally got the message.

The experiment was timing how long it took for a certain amount of yeast to respire to give a set amount of carbon dioxide. Supposedly I was timing the yeast at roughly its optimum temperature and so I should have got the readings quite quickly. It took me 3 hours to get the readings (well in the end I actually resorted to making the readings up). For some reason the experiment just wouldn't work no matter what I did. I tried changing the apparatus and changing the batch of yeast. I even tried applying vaseline to parts of the apparatus to stop any carbon dioxide escaping. Nothing worked.

So I gave up on the experiment and went down the stairs towards the electric doors to leave the science block........and walked straight into a wooden door which someone had shut behind the electric doors. Ignoring my act of idiocy I carried on walking down the tunnel to leave the school. It was pitch black outside and even darker in the tunnel. When I got to the end of the tunnel I found out it was locked.

But my day wasn't all doom and gloom. Out of pity after my slightly disappointing results my latin teacher gave me a delicious jam doughnut and after my failed biology experiment I was allowed to eat as many of the leftover biscuits from the rat dissection biology society as I could. So I stuffed most of them in my pocket (which was really blatant as my pocket was bulging) and left.

On the way home they fell out of my pocket. I wasn't amused.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home