Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Its too much!

Starbucks offers a lot of choice with their drinks (you can customise the drinks to the extreme it seems). Many people seem to love this and come up with ridiculous orders. But for some its all too much.

I served a man the other day for which this seemed to be the case. He asked for a tea. So I asked whether this was to drink in or to take away. He looked a little confused by the question for some reason and just said whatever, I don't know.............to drink here. So I then asked what size mug he wanted his tea in. He said small. So I asked therefore if he wanted a tall (as this is what most people seem to mean when they say small even though there is actually a smaller size which is short). His confused expression morphed into an expression of anger so I pointed out a tall sized mug. He said whatever, I just want a tea. So I took the mug (and bracing myself) asked what tea he wanted. He shouted out, 'I don't care, I just want a tea!' So I asked him if he would like an english breakfast tea (since thats what most people decide they want when they say they want a tea). He then calmed down (thank god) and said he would. And after I gave him the tea he apologised which was nice. The amount of choice had just all been too much for him.

There are some though that see the variety of drinks on offer and extent to which you can customise them and abuse this fact, taking their customisations too far. They ask for things which we can't do and then, when we inform them that we can't carry out their request, get angry and are rude to us. There was one man I had to serve who exemplified this (I can't remember what ridiculous drink order he came up with) but I asked the 'partner' who was making the drinks whether we could make the drink (I didn't think we could but I thought it better to check since i'm still new). When my 'partner' told the man we couldn't do it he just said, 'fine' and proceeded to storm out. The partner tried to inform him of a drink we could do that would be similar but he refused to listen and just swore at us.

If he intended to make us look stupid he failed (as shown by the customers behind him laughing at how ridiculous he was acting as soon as he'd left).

4 Comments:

At 7:54 am, Blogger barista brat said...

out of curiosity, what brand of tea do you serve in your bux? here, in the u.s., bux owns tazo tea, so that is what we serve. in all honesty, it really isn't what i'd call quality.

oh, one time at leicester square i was one of those annoying customers who wanted a drink that wasn't on the menu. well, it's on my menu, but not on the uk menu (at least at the time). i asked for an iced caramel macchiatto, but the partner told me they couldn't make that because it wasn't on the menu (though the hot one was).
i ended up asking for an iced grande three pump vanilla latte topped with caramel sauce. so yeah, i got my iced caramel macchiatto.

 
At 12:33 pm, Blogger Alex said...

We have the Tazo tea here also. Theres English breakfast, peppermint, green tea, dharjeeling, cammomile and another one which i can't remember the name of.

And lol at the iced caramel macchiatto.

 
At 8:59 pm, Blogger barista brat said...

wow, do they call them by the real tea names?
our tazos all have "fun" names.
like the english breakfast is called "awake"
and the chamomile is "calm"
we don't have dharjeeling, but we just got one called african red bush. i think that is so hilariously graphic!

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Alex said...

Lol at the African Red Bush. I know some of them seem to have 'fun' names such as calm and refresh (peppermint). But some don't such as english breakfast and dharjeeling.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home