Thursday, September 08, 2005

Its been a while.

As the title of this blog entry suggests, its been a while since I had any 'travelling experiences.' But that period of rest has ended and today I returned to being unable to navigate public transport and around central London efficiently (and with the added pressure of a time limit). Actually, just thinking about it, thats a lie because I had that Prague bus incident.................but that was in another country.............and here i'm referring to London travelling difficulties.

Anyway I was asked to help out my parents by going to town to a barrister's office where I would write notes dictated by the barrister in preparation for a court case. As a certain old teacher, who I and I know almost all others taught by him would rather forget, would say ' TAKE NOTES!!!!!!!!!!!'. Then I would go to drop off a file at a court.

I got dressed relatively smartly and, after receiving instructions on how to get to the places I needed to go, I caught the 91 bus. I had to wait quite a while for the bus but thats buses for you. And the old saying rang true. Two buses came at once. I knew roughly the area I was meant to get off the bus at. I just had to look out for Holborn Station and then I knew as soon as the bus turned left I had to get off. Its not hard...............but apparently too hard for me.

I somehow did not see Holborn station and before I knew it I was almost at Trafalgar square. Great. So I walked back towards Fleet Street, the street where a side road leading to where I needed to go was situated. I was already about half an hour late (even if everything had gone perfectly to plan I would have been about 15 minutes late). I felt really bad as I knew the barrister and client were waiting for me. So when I got to fleet street I didn't actually realise I was there and, seeing Chancery lane and remembering that was a road I would need to take (unfortunately one I would need to take later rather than then), I walked up it. It was only once I was half way up it that I realised I was walking away from where I wanted to go and that I had been exactly where I needed to go for the conference. But, seeing as I was already half way up the road and needed to go there later to drop off the file, I carried on, dropped off the file and then walked back again towards fleet street.

Back at fleet street I almost straight a way saw a sign pointing to where I wanted to go. It was down this small side street that was through a small arch and hard to spot. Once I walked down the road it split in all directions and I didn't have a clue where to go. I asked a couple of people there but no one knew where the place I needed to go to was. They could only tell me it was very near. Helpful.

After searching for a while and feeling terrible because I was an hour late I found a map on the wall from which I easily worked out where to go. It was quite embarrasing walking into the conference room and then apologising profusely for being so late. Luckily the barrister and client were very nice about it and told me what was happening and what had happened (the barrister had used the extra time while I was moping around town to write up some important letters for the case).

Writing notes for 2 hours isn't the most riveting thing but it was easy to do, luckily for me as I was exhausted from walking around London for so long and I forgot to eat lunch because I was rushing. So I was also really hungry. The conference room had chocolate chip cookies. Chocolate chip cookies! It even smelt of chocolate chip cookies! I was so wanting that whole bowl of cookies but because we were behind due to my lateness I had no time to have any. The smell taunted me for the whole 2 hours.

The journey back wasn't interesting. I just listened to music and it went relatively quickly as a result. Oh and of course I noticed Holborn Station without even looking for it on the way back. Stupid station. It should be fluorescent or something. Then people wouldn't miss it.

But my feelings of hunger were soothed by a delicious pizza once I got home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home