Saturday, December 03, 2005

The Walk

By the time we'd got back to Kajang by bus it was 11.30pm. I still had a 45 minute walk back to the appartment.

So the walk wasn't the easiest to navigate as it was pitch black and I was walking along backstreets without street lamps (or any other source of light). Luckily I know the walk really well now to the extent that I can walk it on autopilot (yeah I discovered this today as, this morning, when I reached the hospital, I realised I couldn't remember the period in between setting out from the appartment and reaching the hospital). So, even with barely any light I could find my way.

There were however a couple of points along the walk where I didn't feel so comfortable. The first was when I was walking along a road that goes through a foresty area. A forest isn't the best place to walk when its pitch black. Then, the first thing you come to when out of the forest is a graveyard. Great. But actually the graveyard was nice and peaceful, truly a place of eternal rest.

As I continued along a road I enjoyed listening to the sounds of Kajang (see next blog entry), that is until I got to this long road with ditches on either side. There, as I walked along, I noticed a man crouching by the side of the road. He stared at me as I walked past. I crossed over to the other side of the road and carried on walking, looking back all the time in case he suddenly rushed to his feet and ran at me brandishing a knife (yeah I have a big imagination).

But the thing that really got my adrenaline glands secreting like mad was a dog. It was barking at me before I could even see it and, as I got nearer and could then see it, it began to growl. I walked a large circle around it, keeping my distance and trying to convince it I wasn't wanting to take its territory. But as I started to walk away it followed me.

It followed me for about 10 minutes. Thank god after a while it got distracted by some discarded food at the roadside (this happened in a residential area just by the highway so there was a street lamp, allowing me to see the food). I didn't really feel like being bitten, let alone contracting rabies (ok it wasn't foaming at the mouth but you never know seeing as it was pretty aggressive).

Overall the walk wasn't so bad but I don't plan on walking back again at midnight when its pitch black again if I can help it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home