Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Court drama

As Nick will tell you my day didn't start too well (and as a result nor did his). He was asleep trying to get back into English time and I was getting my things together as quietly as possible to go to court to help out my parents. When trying to get my mobile out of my jean pockets which were hanging above where Nick was sleeping I dropped the mobile............onto Nick's head. I'm still really sorry about that Nick!

Then I rushed off to court in a cab (as there was a tube strike), arriving there before any one else involved in the court case. The usher came out of the court room and asked who I was acting for, the claimant or defendant. I stared at her. I didn't have a clue. This was kind of a last minute, helping out my parents job and, in the rush to get to the court, I hadn't been briefed on that fact. So I reached into a file I had for the case and tried to find out the answer. Luckily it told me on the first page and so I proudly exclaimed, 'the claimant!'

But this answer prompted the usher to say, 'well then we haven't received your file for the judge,' I just replied ok, thinking to myself i'll have to phone my mum to ask about it. But I hadn't explained this to the usher who replied, 'no, actually its not ok, we need that file.' I said, 'yes, sorry, i'll just have to phone the office to find out about it.' The usher walked off.

The equivalent of me from the defendants side then walked in. She came to shake hands with me and so I got up to do so. I forgot I had files on my lap. They flew all over the floor. The woman just said, 'don't worry, i've been there.' She wasn't lying. During the court case, when it was a break, she got up abruptly and managed to knock all her files that were on her desk all onto the floor.

Luckily it turned out they had actually got the files for the judge and so they had been wrong.

The client that day was difficult (thats actually quite an understatement and its a feeling shared by all those who have had to deal with him). He also didn't come across as the brightest of people, as was shown by the lift incident. The client very kindly offered to give me a lift back as I had many massive files to carry (they couldn't all fit into my bag) and I had a very long way home. So we got into a lift to take us down to the ground floor and the client pressed the button. Then he proceeded to tell me about something which he'd already told me numerous times that day. After a minute or two I said, 'this lift isn't moving,' and pressed the lift button again. The client then said, 'Oh, you're meant to press the button!' I just stood there in disbelief.

In the car, when driving, he swerved to avoid a plastic bag. God forbid if we'd run it over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home