Wednesday, February 22, 2006

High Court, Low Day

Today I was clerking at the high court. I'd never been there before and it was pretty cool because it is the top court in the country. What wasn't so cool was that it was a long day with not much happening.

When I got to the court I went through security and, once out the other side of the 'security hut', I looked for the information desk as i'd been instructed to do by my parents. However the information desk wasn't where i'd been told it was. It turned out that was because i'd managed to go through the staff entrance rather than the entrance for the general public. I guess i'm flattered that they thought I looked professional enough to do this.

So when I worked out what court number I was meant to go to I headed into the building it was supposedly in. I quickly got lost within the labyrinthine corridors which often came to a dead end with the words 'private, no entry.' So I left that building. I then went back to the sign. On the way I noticed a side door leading to another corridor so I decided to explore, it was the right way. I soon got to the court I needed to go to. This side building just had an extremely similar name to the other building.

The day was spent waiting....................we waited for about 4 and a half hours to get a court room for the hearing. I was kept occupied by the client telling me various random things such as how different countries wear their suits when sitting down (no, unfortunately I am not joking). He happens to be the client who didn't realise you had to press a button to operate a lift (a past blog entry).

When we finally got a court room for a hearing we had a pompous old fuddy duddy judge who made it blatant he didn't want to be doing any work (constantly reminding us that he was not going to hear the case for any more than an hour and asking what we wanted from him). I also found it extremely difficult to understand him because he had such a posh, pompous accent and slurred everthing he said into one extremely long word with different intonations every now and then. Additionally it didn't help that his voice was monotonous.

After the hearing finished I made my way home by bus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home