Thursday, March 31, 2005

Fog and shortsightedness - not a good mixture

As I ventured out with my friend Josh this evening (actually it was the morning, 1.30 to be precise) on my journey home from my friend James' house we both agreed outside looked like a scene from a horror movie; dark, damp and foggy with barely any sign of life. The bus journey was quite quick (much quicker than it has been in the past) and strangely went by without any 'events'(such as the abusive drunks on the top floor of the bus last time or the ones that just collapsed in the bus doorway after failing to convinced the driver that they were kids who just looked about 50 and should therefore pay a kids fare). Josh's stop was quite early on.

Once off the bus I started to notice I was actually quite tired. I started walking, my route taking me away from the busy roads and instead through the lifeless backstreets. In my tiredness I thought back to a recent dream i'd had where I was walking along the street which I currently was actually walking along. The scene was the same; foggy, damp, dark and with no one else around. But half way down the street there was a man. As I got nearer I saw he was brandishing a chainsaw and was covered in blood. I stopped, turned and started to walk back down the street only for the same man to appear ahead of me through the fog. He ran at me and swung his chainsaw, slicing off a chunk of skin. It was at this point I woke up. The dream was completely stupid as dreams tend to be (well my dreams are anyway) but it did give me a feeling of deja vu. Even though I knew it was just a dream I found myself cautiously approaching the middle of the road just in case, seeing as everything else was exactly the same as in the dream, there was a blood stained chainsaw brandishing man. There wasn't.

The atmosphere then took a turn for the creepy as some weird bird cackled evily. I don't know what bird makes the kind of noise I heard but I feel sorry for whatever mate it aims to attract. This is where my tiredness, shortsightedness and the foggy surroundings came into play. On my route home there are loads of little side passages. I don't know where they lead to (maybe i'll look sometime) but everytime I approached one I kept seeing a person hiding in the shadows, waiting, smiling. It of course turned out to be either part of a tree or nothing at all but either way it was unsettling.

Its funny how much external factors can affect your judgement of things. Simply watching a horror movie, as I had just done, had set me in a horror state of mind, heightening my susceptibility to any potentially creepy things such as the atmosphere and incorporating a recent dream set in my environment at the time as well as my inability to make out distant objects clearly, therebye creating my own horror movie in my mind.

I hope this is comprehendable because its 3 in the morning and I'm really tired. In fact I don't know why i'm still up writing this. So now I will go. Good night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home