Friday, August 12, 2005

The greeting

Once everyone had arrived we all had to sit in this hall where we had dinner and then had to go through the welcoming process. I really needed the toilet. Unfortunately the greeting process took about two hours (not including the eating part). To make it worse the greeting involved the teachers reading out our names and us standing up, telling everyone a bit about ourself (preferably in Czech) and then walking to the front of the hall and shaking the headteacher's hand (and receiving some notes about the course). I was shitting myself. Not only did I have to do something I hate doing (talking in front of 80 people about myself) but it was expected to be in Czech. And to make matters worse most of the people before me did theres in excellent Czech. Apparently a lot of the people here can already speak Czech well and have come mainly to improve their writing ability. So my mini speech consisted of me saying good evening (dobrý večer) and then in english saying my name, where i'm from, that my mum is Czech and that I have just finished school and want to study medicine at univesity. I wanted to sit down as quickly as possible (I still really really needed the toilet). Instead the headmistress kept me standing up and told me in Czech something about how I wasn't actually meant to be on the course because when they were considering me there was someone else from england who was older than me also applying and they thought I therefore had a lot more time to learn the language. But because the person has the same surname as me (and their first name also begins with A) they accidentally sent me a letter of acceptance and therefore felt they had to let me on the course. Its nice to feel like you're wanted somewhere you're going to be spending 4 weeks. Laughing the headmistress then told me numerous times that i'm very very very lucky. I didn't feel lucky, if I was lucky I would have been allowed to sit down. The evening ended with a singalong hosted by the scarily cheery (and also scarily weird) Mr Yamaha (he has an obsession with his yamaha keyboard, its his family). Watching other people's eyes peering over at their neigbours to see their feelings about the singing was funny. Thankfully after the singing we were allowed to go to our rooms and I finally got to go to the toilet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home