Sunday, August 28, 2005

Prague part 2

The bus left right on time at 5 am. Then for some reason after a 5 minute drive it stopped at what was apparently the Dobruška bus station. It was an ordinary road. We waited for 20 minutes as the bus driver walked up and down the road smoking.

The journey was quite long. I think it was something like 2 and a half hours and nothing much happened. When we arrived in Prague the first thing we did was go to Macdonalds for the toilets and a coke. Amazingly the toilets were free of charge. It wasn´t the only MacDonalds we were going to see that day. There were at least 6 MacDonalds that we saw in our day in Prague.

The day consisted of shopping, watching my friends get a tongue piercing and ear piercing and looking around Prague. I bought a couple of books and we had a falafel, the first non czech food in a month. That falafel tasted soooooooooo good.

The day went quickly and soon we were having a quick dinner before going to catch the last bus going to Dobruška. The restaurant, to my annoyance, didn´t serve fruit dumplings so I had to make do with chocolate fondu. Make do makes it sound like I didn§t enjoy it, which is a lie because it was a pretty damn good alternative. But my friend and I asked how long the meals would take because we were in a rush. The waiter said 5 minutes. It took 20 minutes. I had to eat the fondu very quickly. I also ended up eating most of my friends food. Then we only had about 20 minutes to get to the bus station.

We ran to the tram stop as fast as we could. Of course it decided to start pouring with rain. Just as we reached the tram it closed the doors and drove off. So we had to wait another 5 minutes for the next one. We took the tram to the metro station and ran down into the metro, not bothering to buy a ticket as there was no time. Suddenly I heard someone whistling and shouting. I kept running as I didn´t want to be stopped by the police and charged a fine. The whistling and shouting continued so my friend turned around and stopped before calling to me. Apparently I had dropped my camera in the rush and the whistling was a man trying to get me to stop so he could give back my camera. Thank god my friend stopped.

We continued running and got to the train platform but we just missed the train. The next train took something like 7 minutes to reach the platform. Time was running out.

Once we reached the station we needed to get off at we did so and sprinted to the exit. In the mad dash something fell out of my friends bag and smashed, leaving an orange puddle on the floor. We kept running. The same thing happened again. It was the baby food my friend had bought because she couldn´t eat normal food for a week as a result of getting her tongue pierced. When we reached the exit we had to momentarily stop because there was more than one exit and we needed to get the one that leaded to the bus station. We took the wrong one which took us along a slightly longer route to the bus station.

It was pouring with rain and as we got to the bus station we realised the bus had gone. When we went to ask if there were any buses still going to Dobruška we were told there weren´t. We then inquired as to whether there were any buses going to any neighbouring towns. They told us there were no buses going to Dobruška. So helpful.

So we ended up in the pouring rain wondering what to do. We rang up numerous people but they couldn´t help us. We then rang up someone in Dobruška. Luckily they were able to speak to a taxi driver over the phone and get us a decent deal. Usually the taxi drivers charge foreigners ridiculously high prices and to get to Dobruška, a 2 and a half hour journey at least, it would be way more than the 3 of us could afford. The driver drove the 3 of us to Dobruška for 2000 crowns. We were very very lucky. We were also very very exhausted and completely soaked. We got into the taxi and couldn´t help but laugh. It had been a day we certainly wouldn´t forget.

On the journey back I volunteered to stay awake and make sure the taxi driver didn´t try to steal anything from us or attack us. It was 9 o clock, already very dark and we were driving through empty roads for the later parts of the journey so you can never be too careful. My friends slept. I was so tired but luckily the driver had music on which helped me stay awake.

There was one point where I got slightly worried. The driver stopped the car in the middle of nowhere where no cars were present. He got out and went to get something from the boot of the car. My mind started to wonder about what he could be getting. What if he was getting a knife or an axe. It was stupid of me to be thinking these things but I was so tired. My friends were still asleep so it would be up to me to do something if he tried anything. Luckily he came back with a map book. I felt relieved.

We eventually reached Dobruška at 11 pm. I went straight to the toilet and then to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home