Thursday, March 02, 2006

The Mad Boxing Glove

The last 2 days were spent in court. Initially on the first day it involved me going up and down the court (it has about 7 floors) doing various jobs such as doing some photocopying (I speedily managed to find the court photocopier and because it was only 9am they let me use it for free!) and finding a few of the witnesses. We still hadn't found them by the time we were planned to go into court (although it turned out it didn't matter as we ended up waiting another hour and a half) and so, having waited at the court reception for about 10 minutes and going back up to the 7th floor where our court was situated, I had to go down again and get the receptionist to make an announcement on the tannoy. I gave her the names and she accidentally refered to one of the missing witnesses on the tannoy as a woman when it was in fact a man. So I quickly had to correct her. But it was ok as it worked. At that reception I found one of the three people I was hoping to find (not that I knew what they looked like but I overheard her asking the receptionist where my client was). And when I returned to the 7th floor I found the other two people. Things went ok for the rest of the day but the court case was long.

On the second day I again had to do a bit of last minute photocopying for the barrister and client. Other stuff happened but I can no longer remember. I guess I shouldn't have left this blog entry for so long, but I was so tired after the three days of court and then this morning I had my first day (well it wasn't a full day but a day for me to see if I like the job) at Starbucks.

The court case on the second day was long again. I have to say the judge this time was a bit more decent than the other judges i've seen in that he wasn't a pompous old fart. The other sides barrister however was a rude bitch (and the judge told her off on occasions). My client and her family were very friendly which made the day not quite so monotonous and I even got invited by our barrister to the barrister and judges dining hall in Grays Inn which was a very posh, historical and prestigious 'club' (which served very nice food). I didn't see Cherie Blair there (not that i'd particularly want to) although i'm told she dines there often ('with her cronies' - quoted from my mum).

On the walk to the bus stop after the court hearing finished (although the actual case is unfortunately still ongoing) there was a man dressed up as a boxing glove. I think he was advertising something (well I hope he was, otherwise I worry for his mental state) but I don't know what. As I crossed onto the crossing he was on he proceeded to make boxing gestures at me (his arms protruded from the suit and his fists were clenched so I knew he wasn't just making strange shuffling movements). I smiled (well it was kind of a nervous smile as I didn't particularly want to engage in a boxing match with a giant glove) and passed him. As I carried on walking I looked round to see him charging at me so I quickly ran across the road and kept walking. He didn't follow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home